Why? Because knowing nothing about Allods Online, I have no idea which would be the “right” choice for me. Spellcaster is spellcaster, pet class is pet class, healer is healer. Even if you’ve never played an MMO, you know what to expect. But choosing something at character creation what you cannot know without knowing the World of the game? That’s silly.
However it’s industry standard. For some reason PvE MMOs always had two warring factions. This was always stupid, but we got used to it for no good reason. I noted how most of the bloggers played Battle for Azeroth as Alliance. And I predicted that next WoW expansion the sides will go away.
But now I ask, why did they exist in the first place? What do they add to the game? Because they sure take away awful lot of stuff:
- Both factions need capitals, towns, starting zones implemented, while only half of the players will use them unless they are alting.
- Players of one faction can’t play with players of the other faction. That halves the population.
- While it’s not necessary, factions usually involves unique races (orcs are Horde, dwarfs are Alliance), meaning players either chose a side and get locked out half of the races or choose a race and then faction is chosen
- If there is some faction-faction flavor PvP, population balance is impossible to reach. It’s not a problem for a PvP game which is designed for PvP, but for some fun addition, it can be a funkiller, like constantly being ganked.
- If the races aren’t fully cosmetic but have unique abilities, good luck balancing them for both PvE and PvP. Remember Vanilla WoW Paladins vs Shamans?
Finally, having sides is fundamentally against PvE, which means “player versus environment”. The “environment” is the other side, while players are “our” side. Having factions is counter-intuitive and feels out-of-place. Remember all the stories about “ganking jerks”. No one complains in a shooter which is about killing the other team. But if you are fighting a World boss and a bunch of “jerks” attack you, it feels wrong: you are supposed to be heroes fighting these big bad monsters and other “heroes” are sabotaging you!
Get rid of factions already and let all players be a big happy family, dancing … naked on the mailbox and spamming anal jokes.
PS: I had 10% HP: