At first I was very happy. Yugumo is by far my favorite ship but she sees action rarely, due to no competitive ways to play it and it’s not optimal for coal producing either. I look forward using it.
However the past ranked sprints gave me suspicions:
- In Sprint 3 (Tier 6) the top 5 winrate ships were T-61, Shinonome, Leander, Perth, Graf Spee. Only the Leander is tech tree ship.
- In Sprint 2 (Tier 5), the top 5 winrate ships were Kamikaze, Gremyashchy, Kamikaze R, Fūjin and Giulio Cesare, none of them from the tech tree.
- Sprint 1 has the same ships as 2 in the top 5
While some non-tech-tree ships are available for complicated in-game tasks or events and can drop in containers, the normal way of getting them is paying in the shop. Also, doing the tasks needed for ships is much easier if you pay royally for economic signals and paints, you can’t just grind in your own time when the event is limited. I don’t think many people will actually gain Ethel Fredrick in-game. I sure won’t, check out the last step demands.
As you can see, they are absolutely better than their tech tree counterparts. Sure, many players, including myself ranked out tech-tree ships, but it’s clear pay-to-win. The ship you can buy for money is flat out stronger than the ship your opponents are using.
Tier 10 is free of such P2W ships and that’s why this tier is used for clan wars and ranked. But let’s see what ships are (or were) available in Tier 9 for the wallet warriors:
- Battleships: Missouri, Jean Bart
- Cruisers: Alaska, Kronshtadt
- Destroyers: Black, Neustrashimy
Too bad there are 6 of them, so one of them can’t make it to the top 5 of Season 11. You can guess which one. I can already tell that radar battleship Missouri will be the best ship of the season.
I really don’t like this turn of events. I’d prefer ranked battles be free of pay to win.