I’ve avoided this cesspool for long, but the thing is, most people get “information” there, so if you want to be heard, you have to use it some way. But the thing is that it can only be used one way: the way of getting more likes. If you don’t get likes, you simply become invisible.
I have this problem since I’ve left EVE. I didn’t have a problem Reddit driving me traffic during EVE without even using it because most EVE Redditors hated the Goons more than they hated me, so they gladly upvoted anything and everything anti-Goon. With the rest of the games, it’s far from it. The subreddits are dominated by mediocre players (go figure!), who don’t want to be better, but want excuses for not being better. When I figured out how to get into the top 100 of PUBG, they just downvoted it. It cost them nothing and they felt better.
Now in World of Warships there is an absolutely ridiculous conspiracy theory: that “good players” (themselves) cannot reach their proper rank, because of the “star savers” (players who try to be the best of the losing team instead of winning) sabotate them. Such group would have very specific characteristics: low winrate, high XP/damage. Of course I couldn’t find them in the data, because they don’t exists.
I of course announced it on Reddit:
The top half on the image is from reddit.com, as thread creator I can see how many people seen my page. The bottom is from the blog engine. It seems that only 13% of those who clicked on the reddit link actually read the post. Since the reddit link is just a link with no content, what the hell the other 87% did?! Well, they saw the title “Statistics says purposeful Star Saving players do not exist”, then clicked on the comments to watch the comment section. Yes, they joined the discussion of something they didn’t read, clearly to be informed by other people who also didn’t read it. The top commenter surely didn’t read it, didn’t like it, wrote some nonsense and got upvotes. Now, after learning what other uninformed people say about something, they feel informed. Spoiler: they still believe that the mythical Star Savers exist.
This looks pretty hopeless. How can one convince people who form their decision without reading your piece? The problem here is that if I could somehow make people upvote my post and make it more visible, the “viewers” would still not read it!
Sure, I won’t stop blogging and I look forward the next ranked season where I’ll finally have ships in the top tiers with decent captains, but something tells me that if I’ll reach rank 1 with some obscenely good winrate and write a post about it, the same people will downvote it without reading.
PS: this was a long march, both for the ship and the captain. But it’s a great ship: